Golden AST1 Field – 8 hour Hands-on Practical Training
Meeting Time~8:00am unload, sign out gear, purchase trail passes ~$20-25
8:30 am – Class start. Please be geared up, trail pass purchased and ready to ride for this time.
Please check your email for a COVID pre-screening checklist sent by Amber at Trigger Point. This checklist must be completed by each member/spouse/youth in your group. Pass around the link to those that did not receive it.
Return Time ~ 5:00 pm MST (Be prepared to return in the dark!)
Meeting Location – Quartz Creek Staging Area
When traveling from your home or hotel please allow enough time to account for road conditions, closures due to road maintenance, avalanche control and vehicle accidents. Class will still run if the highways are closed! Please plan accordingly.
CLICK HERE to view available field dates. Choose ONE field day for the practical exercises.
All field classes will run with a maximum of 8 students per instructor.
Field days may be added or canceled depending on the number of registered students and instructor availability.
Book asap as these Golden dates fill quickly.
The AST1 Classroom session must be completed before attending this field session.
CLICK HERE to register for a classroom session
All Interior BC sessions will be led by Hangfire Avalanche Training
Specific meeting location details for all Hangfire field sessions will be EMAILED to all registered participants in the week prior.
Quartz Creek Staging area – Golden, BC
(road conditions permitting, SCROLL DOWN to see the BACKUP PLAN below)
Instructor – Hangfire Avalanche Training
Meet near the ticket booth at the Quartz Creek parking lot. Gather at instructor’s vehicle.
Look for Trucks/sleds with Hangfire logos.
Instructors and students will be traveling in on the groomed trail together.
Check out Sled Golden’s website to view live webcam footage from the Quartz Creek Cabin,
- All your avalanche gear – transceiver and backpack with probe and shovel (air bags not necessary)
- Contact us if you need to borrow any gear for the day – Amber, 250-939-8605 or Lori 403-850-3042
- AVALUATOR – slope evaluation card (received in the classroom – $15 if you forget)
- Companion Rescue Card (received in the classroom)
- Warm clothes, thick soled boots for standing on the snow all day
- Any emergency gear that you would normally bring on a day of riding.
- Lunch, thermos with hot beverage. NO ALCOHOL (Expect a ‘working lunch’. Eat while listening, snack between exercises. We will not access the cabin or a fire for lunch.)
- ~$25 cash for trail fees
- We will be completing NEW waivers in the parking lot. We recommend that you tear out the waiver from your classroom workbook or download a copy by CLICKING HERE If you print, read and fill out your contact details beforehand you can bring the completed waiver to the staging area and one of your instructors will act as your witness. We will bring copies of the waiver to the staging area however it is a bit nicer for you to complete the paperwork ahead of time rather than in the snow!
REMEMBER to have a look at the Avalanche Canada TRIP PLANNER TOOL and the
current Avalanche Bulletin for the PURCELL Region
Map & Directions from Golden
Quartz is approx 45 km west of Golden on Hwy#1, approx a 30+ minute drive. Before arriving at Quartz you will cross a bridge and pass a highway rest stop that is on the left side of the road. Travel 3.7km past the rest stop. The highway widens to turning lanes and there is a small ‘snowmobile’ sign on the right side of the road at the Quartz turn off. The parking lot is located on the left side of the highway.
CLICK HERE to view a map to Quartz Creek
CLICK HERE to view a BC Highway Camera – positioned near the Quartz Creek bridge looking east. Elevation 1080m
BACKUP PLAN RELATED TO ROAD CLOSURES
Please watch highway conditions! DRIVE BC http://www.drivebc.ca/
- If Kicking Horse Canyon or Hwy #1 closes to the East of GOLDEN. Class will still run if the highways are closed! Please plan accordingly. You may have to take the alternate route from Hwy 1 through Radium…. lets hope not!!
- If road closes to the West of GOLDEN – Ask the flagger if you can proceed through the closure to stage at Quartz.
- Yes – field day proceeds at Quartz as scheduled. ***NOTE: if an accident/incident is farther to the west they usually allow avalanche classes through to Quartz Creek – you will have to ask the flagger!!
- No- Back-up plan: MEET at Mountain Motorsports at 0730am sharp!
910 9th St. North, Golden. This will get the group off the highway and away from traffic and allow us to make a new plan from there.
CLICK HERE for Mountain Motorsport’s Website
- If the road closes and you are coming from the WEST/Revelstoke…do your best…Please give us a call 250-814-7210. There is Telus/Bell cell reception at the Quartz parking lot and through the Rogers Pass/Glacier Park. (No Rogers mobile service though!)
Mountain Motorsports – Golden, BC
Offers a discount to students. Please mention that you will be taking our course if you need to renta sled!
Phone: (250) 344-6100
910 9th St N, Golden, BC V0A 1H2
Accommodation Options – Golden, BC
Mount 7 Lodges – www.mount7lodges.com
Hillside Lodge & Chalets (15km out of town on your way to Quartz Creek) – www.hillsidechalets.com
Cedar House Chalets (6km south of town) – www.cedarhousechalets.com