Golden AST1 Field – 8 hour Hands-on Practical Training
~8:00am unload, sign out gear, purchase trail passes ~$20-25
8:30 am – Class start. Please be geared up and ready to ride for this time.
Return Time ~ 5:30 pm MST (Be prepared to return in the dark!)
Meeting Location – Quartz Creek Staging Area
When traveling from your home or hotel please allow enough time to account for road conditions, closures due to road maintenance, avalanche control and vehicle accidents. Class will still run if the highways are closed! Please plan accordingly.
CLICK HERE to view available field dates
Choose ONE field day for the practical exercises.
All field classes will run with a maximum of 8 students per instructor.
Field days may be added or canceled depending on the number of registered students and instructor availability.
Book asap as these Golden dates fill quickly.
If your schedule allows, we recommend that you choose a Monday or a Friday for your field session as Saturday and Sundays are typically our largest groups.
The AST1 Classroom session must be completed before attending this field session.
CLICK HERE to register for a classroom session
All Interior BC sessions will be led by Trigger-Point Snow Services
Quartz Creek Staging area – Golden, BC
(road conditions permitting, SCROLL DOWN to see the BACKUP PLAN below)
Instructor – Trigger Point
Meet in the upper Quartz Creek parking lot. Gather at instructor’s vehicle.
Look for white Chevy truck with Trigger Point logos with flat deck.
Instructors and students will be traveling in on the groomed trail together.
Check out Sled Golden’s website to view live webcam footage from the Quartz Creek Cabin,
- All your avalanche gear – transceiver and backpack with probe and shovel (air bags not necessary)
- Contact us if you need to borrow any gear for the day – Lori, 403-850-3042
- AVALUATOR – slope evaluation card (received in the classroom – $15 if you forget)
- Companion Rescue Card (received in the classroom)
- Warm clothes, thick soled boots for standing on the snow all day
- Any emergency gear that you would normally bring on a day of riding
- Lunch, thermos with hot beverage. NO ALCOHOL (Expect a ‘working lunch’. Eat while listening, snack between exercises. We will not access the cabin or a fire for lunch.)
- ~$25 cash for trail fees
- We will be completing NEW waivers in the parking lot. We recommend that you tear out the waiver from your classroom workbook or download a copy by CLICKING HERE If you print, read and fill out your contact details beforehand you can bring the completed waiver to the staging area and one of your instructors will act as your witness. We will bring copies of the waiver to the staging area however it is a bit nicer for you to complete the paperwork ahead of time rather than in the snow!
Map & Directions from Golden
Quartz is approx 45 km west of Golden on Hwy#1, approx a 20 minute drive. Before arriving at Quartz you will cross a bridge and pass a highway rest stop that is on the left side of the road. Travel 3.7km past the rest stop. The highway widens to turning lanes and there is a small ‘snowmobile’ sign on the right side of the road at the Quartz turn off. The parking lot is located on the left side of the highway.
CLICK HERE to view a map to Quartz Creek
CLICK HERE to view a BC Highway Camera – positioned near the Quartz Creek bridge looking east. Elevation 1080m
BACKUP PLAN RELATED TO ROAD CLOSURES
Please watch highway conditions! DRIVE BC http://www.drivebc.ca/
- If Kicking Horse Canyon or Hwy #1 closes to the East of GOLDEN. Class will still run if the highways are closed! Please plan accordingly. You may have to take the alternate route from Hwy 1 through Radium…. lets hope not!!
- If road closes to the West of GOLDEN – Ask the flagger if you can proceed through the closure to stage at Quartz.
- Yes – field day proceeds at Quartz as scheduled. ***NOTE: if an accident/incident is farther to the west they usually allow avalanche classes through to Quartz Creek – you will have to ask the flagger!!
- No- Back-up plan: MEET at Mountain Motorsports at 0730am sharp!
910 9th St. North, Golden. This will get the group off the highway and away from traffic and allow us to make a new plan from there.
CLICK HERE for Mountain Motorsport’s Website
- If the road closes and you are coming from the WEST…do your best…Please give us a call 250-814-7210. There is Telus cell reception at the Quartz parking lot (No Rogers mobile service though!)
Ramada Inn – Golden, BC
Phone: (250) 439-1888
Toll Free: 1-800-593-0511 Reservation only
Fax: (250) 439-1889
1311N. 12th St., Hwy #1
Golden, B.C. V0A 1H0, Canada
CLICK HERE for a Google Map for the Ramada
This facility is easy walking distance to restaurants, lounges and fuel stations. Excellent truck/trailer parking in the open lot in front. Indoor pool, hot tub, fitness room and deluxe continental breakfast.
Phone the hotel directly to book your room. There are limited rooms blocked off. In order to secure the special rates, please identify that you are a Snowmobiler with Zac’s Tracs avalanche class.
2016-17 Rates for sledders:
Standard 2 queen $89.00 + taxes ( based on double occupancy. Add $10 for each additional person)
2 Bedroom suites $129.00 + taxes ( based on double occupancy. Add $10 for each additional person)
These rates INCLUDE A GREAT BREAKFAST (waffles, cold boiled eggs, hot & cold cereals, bagels, fruit…)