Fernie AST1 Field Training – 8hrs Hands-On Mountain Course
Meeting Time –
~8:00am unload, sign out gear, purchase trail passes ~$20-25
8:30 am – Class start. Please be geared up and ready to ride for this time.
Return Time ~ 5:30 pm MST (Be prepared to return in the dark!)
Meeting Location –
Morrissey Road Staging Area south of Fernie, BC
When traveling from your home or hotel please allow enough time to account for road conditions, closures due to road maintenance, avalanche control and vehicle accidents. Class will still run if the highways are closed! Please plan accordingly.
CLICK HERE to view available field dates
Choose ONE field day for the practical exercises.
All field classes will run with a maximum of 8 students per instructor.
Field days may be added or canceled depending on the number of registered students and instructor availability.
Book asap as these Fernie dates fill quickly.
If your schedule allows, we recommend that you choose a Monday or a Friday for your field session as Saturday and Sundays are typically our largest groups.
The AST1 Classroom session must be completed before attending this field session.
CLICK HERE to register for a classroom session
Morrissey Road Staging Area – Fernie, BC
Travel south of Fernie on Hwy #3 west approximately 10 km to Morrissey Road and turn left (east).
(i.e. The turn off to Morrissey Road is 7km past the Fernie Ski Hill turn off.)
Follow the signs for the snowmobile staging area and Fernie Wilderness Adventures (FWA) Cat Ski Operation.
They are actively logging on this road. Expect to meet light and heavy equipment along this road.
Cross a single lane bridge and railway tracks and turn right at the ‘T’. Take the left at the Y. Stay ‘gently’ left for 6 km. You will turn right into the snowmobile association’s parking lot when you see a broken, yellow snowmobile sign.
(The km signs might indicate ~18-19km at this point)
The lot is a good size but please park efficiently in order that our students and public can all fit without too much stress.
Call Lori at 403-850-3042 if you have any questions.
- All your avalanche gear – transceiver and backpack with probe and shovel (air bags not necessary)
- Contact us if you need to borrow any gear for the day – Lori, 403-850-3042
- AVALUATOR – slope evaluation card (received in the classroom – $15 if you forget)
- Companion Rescue Card (received in the classroom)
- Warm clothes, thick soled boots for standing on the snow all day
- Any emergency gear that you would normally bring on a day of riding
- Lunch, thermos with hot beverage. NO ALCOHOL (Expect a ‘working lunch’. Eat while listening, snack between exercises. We will not access the cabin or a fire for lunch.)
- ~$25 cash for trail fees
- We will be completing NEW waivers in the parking lot. We recommend that you tear out the waiver from your classroom workbook or download a copy by CLICKING HERE If you print, read and fill out your contact details beforehand you can bring the completed waiver to the staging area and one of your instructors will act as your witness. We will bring copies of the waiver to the staging area however it is a bit nicer for you to complete the paperwork ahead of time rather than in the snow!
HOST HOTEL – Best Western Fernie Mountain Lodge
Book your hotel rooms in advance and ask for 2017-18 Special Rates for Zac’s Students – $144.00 for standard 2 queen room (double occupancy), includes full hot breakfast, wireless internet, indoor swimming pool, indoor & outdoor hot tub, fitness room and ample parking (overflow parking in Extra Foods Parking lot).
CLICK HERE for map at www.bestwesternfernie.com